Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Myanmar tragedy

Each time I point Firefox to CNN, I see a higher and higher death toll from the typhoon that struck the former Burma on 3 May. It's shocking and horrifying that this estimated body count surges by tens of thousands each time... it's practically exponential. As an avid NPR listener, I heard earlier today that the military junta that controls Myanmar refuses to allow any aid personnel in to help; just supplies or funding, please. Over 100,000 people may have perished and these vermin won't allow an agency like Doctors Without Borders in to help? Or Red Cross or Red Crescent in to help distribute medical supplies or food? Or help despose of bodies in a sanitary manner, instead of letting people throw corpses into rivers? What kind of inhumane, amoral monsters are running the show there anyway? And what about fucking China? I suspect that Myanmar is in their sphere of influence. Maybe China should think about leaning on those animals in the capital before the death toll runs up into the millions in coming months due to starvation, disease, and lack of sanitation.

How is this happening in 2008? Come on, Earth... let's take care of our fellow humans!

U.S. envoy: Myanmar deaths may top 100,000 - CNN.com

2 comments:

battlemaiden said...

Remember when unrest started a few months ago? I thought it was eerie that I was reading a book set in Burma at the same time. Talk about foreshadowing! Weird.

I also think this is interesting: Junta is a Spanish and Portuguese word meaning committee. It is also a Hindi word referring to common people.

Too bad the common people who were left alive are being treated so horribly.

Luis Baars said...

It is such a terrible shame to see a bad situation become so much worse. I only hope that the military junta comes to its senses sooner rather than later in order to minimize the suffering and loss of life.