Just a couple days after The Varnish Cooks were featured in the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle, I found another glowing review of our live performance (I think it was ARTWalk). I have no idea who this reviewer was, and he likely doesn't have press credentials, but in this age of the developing blogosphere, your average joe's opinion is just as available as someone writing for a syndicated publication. So J.P., whoever you are, thanks for the great review & I'm glad you like our music!
As I mentioned at the beginning of the post, the band was featured in Thursday's Weekend section of the D&C. Ben was interviewed by phone by Jeff Spevak, the paper's music critic. He has a tendency to indulge in hero worship of a sort, and seems to seek out a frontman or band leader, even in cases where there's isn't really one. Thus, the article directed itself mostly towards Ben and his background and educational pursuits, occasionally tying him in to the band. The comments about the band were definitely positive, and we're fortunate to be featured in the paper in any circumstance, so I shouldn't be nit-picking anyway. For the interested, Spevak's D&C article can be found here.
Huzzah for publicity!
All You Need, All The Time: THE VARNISH COOKS: OLD TIME MUSIC FOR THE NEW AGE
Saturday, November 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Also, congrats on the really great gig at Boulder this past Saturday. It was so much fun!
C'mon, it's not like I have time (or inclination) to blog anymore. Blogging is so 2003.
Post a Comment