Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Sofa-king tired

I started a new job Yesterday, after working all g.d. weekend to boot. This new job starts at 6 AM and I'm used to going to sleep around 2 or 3 and getting up around 11 or 12. So I got three hours' sleep Sunday night, maybe. This new job is at a former hotel which is now run by a college as a dorm and hotel/banquet facility. So I get to serve all the college kiddies breakfast, and a few people actually using it as a hotel. This college has a ton of exchange students, so the biggest challenge is actually deciphering their food orders and names.

I took this position as an AM line cook to get my foot in the door. Perhaps I'll change my mind, but I pretty much detest getting up at 5 in the morning. I do enjoy getting done with work by 3:00, and I like having my evenings free too. But unless the executive chef was bull-shitting me, my days as a breakfast cook are limited. He told me on a couple occasions that he doesn't really have anyone else on his staff that has any kind of formal culinary training, however limited. He envisions moving me into a position that will put my training to use, and he even suggested assistant banquet chef as an example in the interview. (dang!) So it behooves me to get there at the crack of dawn with my game face on and become a first-rate breakfast and lunch line cook.

The crappy thing about this week is that I'm finishing out my notice at the restaurant, and I have to work at both jobs tomorrow and Thursday. Ugh. Tomorrow I'm in for working for 14 1/2 hours. (unless you don't want to count the drive between jobs or my 30 minute break at the first job. And if you don't, well then fuck you.) Thursday I don't know when I'm getting done, but I could be in for 16 hours or so. I haven't pulled a 16 hour day in several years, back when it wouldn't make me all exhausted. But I think I've hit my "I'm old" wall and it's going to beat the shit out of me.

A good thing Heidi and I are off to Sackets for the long weekend... I'll need it to recover!

No comments: